Jan 2, 2026 • 11:15 AM (GMT+8)

BREAKING NEWS

De Lima slams Duterte for skipping ICC hearing

De Lima slams Duterte for skipping ICC hearing  - article image
National

MAMAMAYANG Liberal Party-list Rep. Leila de Lima on Thursday criticized former President Rodrigo Duterte for waiving his right to attend next week’s confirmation of charges hearing before the International Criminal Court (ICC).

She said his statements undermine claims that he is mentally unfit to stand trial and reflect a political strategy aimed at rallying supporters.

Speaking to reporters in Cebu City at the sidelines of a public consultation on anti-political dynasty measures on Thursday, Feb. 19, De Lima said Duterte’s recent declaration shows he “knows what he’s talking about” despite earlier arguments raised by his camp about alleged psychological or mental incapacity.

“Unang-una, nagpapakita yan of a sound mind,” she said, noting that the issue of Duterte’s alleged unfitness to stand trial had already been raised and rejected by the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber, and again on appeal.

Duterte, through his lawyer Nicholas Kaufman, submitted a written waiver dated Feb. 18 informing ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I that he would not attend the Feb. 23–27 confirmation of charges hearing. In the letter, Duterte said he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the Hague-based tribunal and described his arrest and transfer to the Netherlands as a “kidnapping.”

He also said he is “old, tired, and frail,” and has accepted the possibility of dying in detention.

Duterte is currently detained in Scheveningen, the Netherlands, as he faces three counts of murder as an alleged indirect co-perpetrator in crimes against humanity linked to his administration’s anti-drug campaign. He has denied overseeing a policy of extrajudicial killings, calling the allegations an “outrageous lie.”

De Lima said Duterte’s refusal to attend the hearing and his public pronouncements questioning the ICC’s jurisdiction appear intended to “appeal to the emotions of the people” and revive a narrative of persecution.

“It’s a sort of strategy,” she said, adding that the timing — days before the confirmation of charges hearing — is significant.

She also linked the developments to Vice President Sara Duterte’s recent announcement that she will run for president in 2028, made less than a week before her father’s ICC appearance and amid pending impeachment complaints against her at the House of Representatives.

“They want to rekindle emotions and consolidate their forces again,” de Lima said, referring to what she described as efforts to frame the ICC proceedings and domestic political moves as politically motivated.

Sara Duterte earlier declared her intention to seek the presidency in 2028, while facing four impeachment complaints alleging betrayal of public trust, bribery, graft and corruption, including the alleged misuse of confidential funds.

She has denied wrongdoing and described the moves against her as politically driven.

De Lima said the ICC case is ultimately about accountability.

“There are four complainants, all private, and they are on strong view. This is about accountability. Hanggang ngayon, the allegations remain unanswered—wala pang closure,” she said.

She added that the Vice President should address the impeachment complaints first before pursuing higher office.

“This is the proceedings na kailangan sagutin ni VP Sara. Yun muna dapat ang asikasuhin niya before presidential ambition. She should answer to the people,” De Lima said.

Malacañang earlier said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is open to certifying priority measures endorsed by Congress and has given a brief response of “Good luck” when informed of the Vice President’s presidential bid.(TGP)

Share to:
Newsletter